If severe weather is in the forecast, take precautions to assure your safety and comfort. Here are some steps you can take to prepare for inclement weather.
- Make sure Carroll EMC has your correct telephone number on file. If you need to update this phone number, please contact a Carroll EMC Member Services Representative at 770-832-3552.
- Place Carroll EMC's Report An Outage phone number, 770-832-3552, option 1, and your Carroll EMC account number in a prominent place for easy reference.
- Activate contingency plans for patients with a medical necessity for electric power. Have a back-up source for medical devices and a plan to evacuate to a facility that is not affected by the power outage.
- Keep batteries, flashlights, a first-aid kit, and a battery-powered radio or TV in your home.
- Keep a supply of canned or dry food on hand along with a manual can opener and one gallon of drinking water per person per day in case water isn't available.
- If you depend on a well, fill bathtubs or other large containers for household use, like flushing commodes.
- Remember to charge your mobile phone in case phone and power lines go out.
- Fill your gas tank before a storm arrives, as gas pumps do not work if electricity is out. Automatic teller machines will also shut down if the power fails, so have cash on hand.
- Check the fluid and tire air levels in your vehicle.
- Make sure your children understand the danger of downed power lines. Have them visit Kids Energy Zone for fun and informative safety lessons.
- Wear shoes and have a "go kit" of extra clothes and personal items in case you have to evacuate.
- Secure valuable papers and electronics in waterproof containers or plastic bags.
- Make sure you have several days' worth of medications in case pharmacies are closed. If your medications require refrigeration, have a backup plan to keep them cool if the power goes out.
- Unplug electronic devices in your home such as TVs, computers, etc. to protect them in case of a power surge.